history 1934 - 1976
Written by: Marc Vorgers/
return to the previous page by clicking your browsers
Alan and Richard Jensen decided to participate in the bodywork
manufacturing company of W.J. Smith & Co. in the year 1930. The
company built fine creations based upon Standard, Wolseley and chassis
of other makes.
In the year 1934 the Jensen brothers bought the firm and named the
company Jensen Motors.
From 1935 the first Jensen automobiles found their way to the market.
The Jensen automobiles were very refined, stylish and comfortable and
were able to compete with the other great British marques. The early
prewar Jensen automobiles were powered by American Nash and Ford
After the second world war Jensen Motors introduced a grand saloon; the
Jensen PW. This luxurious limousine was already equipped with hydraulic
brakes and coil springs all round and at front the suspension was
independent. The Jensen PW was powered by a Meadows or Nash eight
cylinder engine and later on by the well known Austin A135 six cylinder
In the year 1949 the first Jensen Interceptor saw the light of day. The
Interceptor was available in two body variant; a two door saloon and a
In the year 1953 Jensen started building cars with glass fiber reinforced
plastic (GRP) bodywork. A great example with GRP bodywork is the Jensen
541 which was the first four seater passenger car fitted with disc brakes
all round. The Jensen 541 was presented in the year 1953 and the car was
powered by the excellent Chrysler V8 engine. Jensen used the 6.0 and 6.3
liter versions of the Chrysler V8 engine.
In the year 1966 Jensen introduced the new Interceptor which was
designed by Vignale. This time steel bodywork was in fashion again at
Jensen. The Vignale designed Jensen Interceptor was also equipped with
Chrysler V8 engines. Power disc brakes were fitted all round and a
Power-lock differential made sure that the enormous engine power was
translated to forward motion...
The Interceptor MK I was fitted with a 6276 cc. Chrysler V8. In the year
1969 power steering became standard equipment on the Interceptor.
The Interceptor MK II was introduced in 1970. The MK II was updated with
a new dashboard, a modified interior, a slightly redesigned front,
vented disc brakes and alloy rims.
De Interceptor MK III succeeded the MK II in 1972. The MK III was
available as SP version fitted with a 7.2 liter Chrysler V8 engine. This
engine breaths through three double Weber carburettors and has a
capacity of 390 SAE bhp.
The Jensen Interceptor Convertibles were introduced in 1974. These were
mechanically equal to the Interceptor SP model; 7.2 liter V8 and the
impressive bonnet with two rows of louvers to extract the engine heat.
Between 1966 and 1976 Jensen also built the four wheel driven
Interceptor FF. This was the first car to be standard equipped with ABS
(Anti Blocking System on the brakes). The FF was also fitted with
Power-Lock differentials and power steering.
early sixties of the twentieth century Jensen also produced 6000 bodies
for Volvo; they built the beautiful Volvo
P 1800 bodies which were shipped to Volvo in Sweden.
In the early seventies of the twentieth century Jensen Motors was acquired
by the Healey family. In 1972 the Jensen Healey was presented. In 1975
the Jensen GT succeeded the Jensen Healey which the GT was based on. The
Jensen GT is a two-door "sportswagon" inspired by the Reliant
Scimitar and the Volvo
P 1800 ES. During the seventies of the twentieth century the sales at
Jensen Motors dropped year after year. In 1976 the Healey family decided
to cease production and close the factory gate...
Today the memory is kept alive by the impressive motorcars being built
by Jensen Motors which are driven, maintained and cherished by their
© 2000-2014, V3D/
ClassicarImages. All rights reserved.