Alvis 12/70 special, 1940
Alvis 12/70 Special, year 1940. Colour blue with a red leather interior. This Alvis was extensively restored and fitted with a special aluminium body in the year 2005. The automobile comes from a collection and the car is in very good to excellent condition! This Alvis Special is beautifully documented, Alvis Limited car record is present, invoices and of course a comprehensive restoration reportage. This is a delightful vintage special; basic, rugged and masculine.
ARCHIVES | SOLD
741 cars built, 121 cars known to survive.
four cylinder in-line engine
cylinder capacity: 1842 cc.
carburettors: 2 x SU
capacity: 62,5 bhp. at 4000 rpm.
top-speed: approx. 130 km/h.
gearbox: 4-speed manual
brakes: cable operated vented drum brakes
Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.
The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.
© Marc Vorgers