Alvis Silver Eagle 16 SG, 1935
Alvis Silver Eagle 16 SG saloon, year 1935. Chassis number 126XX. Colour black with pale yellow wire wheels. Brown leather interior. This Alvis Silver Eagle saloon with Holbrook body work was found in the UK and imported by Altena Classic Service for a client in April 2012. The automobile was checked, fully serviced and after that registered (June 2012) for use on the open road again. The automobile is in totally original good condition showing off a fantastic patina! A true time machine giving the special pre war driving experience! The car is fitted with an electric cooling fan and a shield to keep heat away from the carburettors. The Silver Eagle SF and SG were built from 1934 until 1936. Only 110 of these Silver Eagle cars (sports tourer, DHC, 4-light saloon and 6-light saloon models) are known to survive (2008 'Alvis The Story of the Red Triangle' by Kenneth day). A rare opportunity to purchase a super original Alvis Silver Eagle.
ARCHIVES | SOLD
The Alvis Silver Eagle SG was built in the years 1935 and 1936 next to the almost identical sister model SF. The SF fitted with a 2148 cc. six cylinder engine, the SG was given a more powerful 2362 cc. six cylinder engine. The models can be distinguished by the shape of the radiator, the SF has a flat radiator, the SG has a V-shape radiator. 677 SF vand SG cars have been built ion various models (sports tourer, drop head coupe and two saloons) of which 75 are known to survive. Additionally some chassis were fitted with special bodywork like the one presented by Cross & Ellis.
Six cylinder in-line engine (OHV)
Cylinder capacity: 2362 cc.
3 S.U. carburettors
Capacity: 66 pk. at 4200 rpm.
Top-speed: 75 mph. - 120 km/h.
Brakes: mechanical drum brakes all round
Gearbox: 4-speed, manual, fully synchronized
Weight: approx. 1350 kg. depending on bodywork
*Source: The Story of the Red Triangle
Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.
The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.
© Marc Vorgers