Alvis Speed 20 SA Tourer, 1933
Alvis Speed 20 SA Tourer, year 1933. Colour two-tone blue combined with a red leather interior and a black hood. This magnificent Alvis Speed 20 SA Open Tourer was sold new in Great Britain where it was registered under the number AJJ 585. Very special is that the automobile features its original Vanden Plas Open Tourer bodywork. This fine automobile is in very good to excellent original condition showing all the original details and a fantastic vintage patina. Over the years the mechanicals were overhauled (the engine in recent years), and the body was stripped and repainted in the past. The brakes and the steering box were recently overhauled and the rear springs and clutch renewed. An alternator was also fitted. The complete history is known and documented, and all the previous owners are known. The car has participated in several historic events in the Netherlands. This fine automobile is registered in the Alvis register and the car comes with a rare original owner’s manual and a photo of the car in the hands of its first owner. This beautiful Alvis Speed 20 has been serviced and maintained perfectly in the workshops of Altena Classic Service; everything is up to date.
ARCHIVES | SOLD
Altena 2107 S2
The Alvis Speed Twenty was built between the years 1932 and 1936; type SA in '32-'33, type SB in '34, type SC in '35 and finally type SD in '36.
The Speed 20 SA and SB were equipped with the Alvis 2511cc. six-cylinder "Silver Eagle" engine. The SC and SD types were enlarged to 2762 cc. The engine was equipped with an overhead camshaft and overhead valves and three S.U. carburetors. The Alvis Speed 20 was equipped with powerful mechanical drum-brakes and independent front-wheel suspension. Starting with the Speed 20 SB the car was upgraded with a fully synchronized four-speed gearbox. 351 SA chassis were built of which 124 are known to survive.
Six-cylinder engine (OHV)
cylinder capacity: 2511 cc.
induction: 3 SU carburettors
capacity: 87 bhp. at 4000 rpm.
top-speed: 89 mph. - 142 km/h.
gearbox: 4-speed manual (fully synchronized)
weight: 26 cwt - 1320 kg. (tourer)
*Source: The Story of the Red Triangle
Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.
The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.
© Marc Vorgers