Alvis Speed 25 Charlesworth DHC, 1939
Hide slides
Updated: 11-September-2019 12:25

Alvis Speed 25 Charlesworth DHC, 1939

Engine sound
Sound driving
Information
Model information
Make history

Alvis Speed 25 Charlesworth DHC, year 1939. Colour two tone, silver/grey metallic with a dark red leather interior trimmed with grey carpet. Black hood and hood cover. This fantastic Alvis Speed 25 is a rare automobile, only 62 of these wonderful Charlesworth Drophead coupe models have been built. Alvis is one of the greatest prewar British makes. The engineers tried to accomplish perfection in every detail. The fully synchronised gearbox is a true delight compared to the period competition. The Charlesworth Drophead Coupe features a special three position hood; open, half open or closed.

ARCHIVES | SOLD

Imparts 0513

Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.

The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive.

In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.

The Alvis Speed 25 and the 4.3 Litre are considered to be the best automobiles built by Alvis. 391 Alvis Speed 25 chassis were built of which 220 are known to survive.

Technical data*

Six cylinder in-line engine (OHV)
cylinder capacity: 3571 cc.
carburettors: 3 SU carburettors
capacity: 106 bhp. at 3800 rpm.
top-speed: 96,77 mph - 155 km/h
gearbox: 4-speed, manual, fully synchronized.
Brakes: cable operated drum brakes all round.
weight: 36,5 cwt - 1830 kg. (saloon)

*Source: The Story of the Red Triangle

Alvis history

Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.

The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.

© Marc Vorgers

 

Marc Vorgers
Marc vorgers.png
Marc Vorgers