Alvis TA 14 special, 1950
Hide slides
Updated: 18-November-2019 11:20

Alvis TA 14 special, 1950

Engine sound
Sound driving
Information
Model information
Make history

Alvis TA14 Special, year 1950. Colour dark red with a black leather interior and black wire wheels. This fantastic Alvis 'fourteen' Special was built decades ago by 'Mr. Alvis' of the Netherlands. In 2013 the automobile was taken apart in the Altena Classic Service workshops for some refinements to be carried out. The bodywork around the scuttle was given a better new shape to fit Brooklands racing screens and the body was painted satin maroon red. The automobile is in excellent condition and the car is a sheer joy to drive!

ARCHIVES | SOLD

Altena 1213

Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.

The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive.

In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.

After world war 2 a slightly modified version of the Alvis 12/70 was reintroduced and it was named the 'Fourteen'. Alvis produced 3213 TA 14 chassis of which  487 are known to survive.

Technical data*

Four cylinder in-line engine
cylinder capacity: 1892 cc.
carburettors: 1 x SU
capacity: 65 bhp at 4000 rpm.
top-speed: 74 mph. - 118,5 km/h.
gearbox: 4-speed, manual
weight: 17,5 cwt - 889 kg. (chassis) /  28 cwt -1422 kg. (saloon)

*Bron: The Story of the Red Triangle

Alvis history

Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.

The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.

© Marc Vorgers

 

Altena Classic Service
Contact
Address
route map
Phone: +31 (0)524 561 122
De Vaart 23
7784 DK Gramsbergen
Netherlands