MG TC 'Midget', 1948
MG TC, year 1948. Matching numbers car. Colour green combined with a beige leather interior and black carpet. Beige mohair hood and beige side screen frames. This gorgeous MG TC was built on 23 September 1948 and sold new to Long Beach, Los Angeles, California, USA. In 1979 the car was restored by Don Frahm Inc., in the same year the MG TC won the Long Beach QE2 concours. In 1988, the MG TC was purchased by the current owner and shipped to the Netherlands. In the 1990s a full frame off restoration and overhaul started which took several years to be completed. This restoration was executed to perfection. In the process the engine was uprated with a new Phoenix crankshaft, a Crane ‘fast road’ camshaft, larger valves, hardened valve seats, a modern ‘spin-on’ oil filter and electronic ignition. A photo report of the restoration is present. This MG TC is in a superb show condition! The ignition coil and the voltage regulator are still original after 73 years and the original Lucas SFT 462 Foglamp is still present. This MG TC is fitted with the following options: An invisibly mounted mass switch, reinforced thru-axles, a heater with wonderfully hidden hoses, a glass brake fluid reservoir in the toolbox under the bonnet, extra water temperature gauge on the dashboard, improved steering gear (lighter and more precise steering!), special and rare US model rear indicator lamps, and an original Bluemels Brooklands steering wheel. This is a stunning MG TC in show condition and a delightful driver car!
ARCHIVES | SOLD
Classic Open 2109
The MG TC was the first new post-war MG. The TC was introduced in 1945, and based on the pre-war TB, it was very similar. A major improvement to the TC was the larger interior, which was increased by 10 cm. The design was similar to the pre-war TB, with swept separate wings, large 19-inch wire wheels and a folding windshield. The MG TB/TC series were much admired by the American soldiers who were on the point of returning to America; this type of small sports car with its smooth handling, was not yet known in America. As a result, many TBs and TCs were shipped to America, and also the MG TC was in great demand at the other side of the pond. All TCs had right-hand steering, leaf springs all around and a 54 bhp four-cylinder engine. In 1950, the MG TC was succeeded by the MG TD.
Four cylinder engine
carburettors: 2x S.U.
cylinder capacity: 1250cc.
capacity: 54 bhp. at 5200 rpm.
top-speed: 128 km/h. - 80 mph.
gearbox: 4-speed, manual
weight: 820 kg.
MG (Morris Garage) was set up by William Morris in the year 1923 to market a more sporty line of Morris models. Morris Production Manager, Cecil Kimber, was transferred from the factory in Cowley to Morris Garages (in Abington) to design MG's using Morris parts. MG production in Abingdon started in the year 1924. At the end of the 1930s, even normal passenger cars were introduced under the MG label.
The business flourished when in 1945, just after World War II, the sporty prewar MG TB and its successor the TC stole the hearts of the American soldiers. Numerous MGs were shipped to America where this type of motorcar was yet unknown.
Demand for the MG sports cars quickly rose in America, and most of the MGs were sold across the big pond in the years that followed. MGs were simple and well-built, affordable and easy to maintain. In 1952, Austin Motor Corporation merged with Morris Motors to form British Motor Corporation Ltd*.
In 1955, the pre-war TB and the post-war TC, TD and TF series with their pre-war designs were followed by the MG A roadster, which also became available as coupes after 1956.
In 1962, the successful MG A was followed by the even more successful and austerely but elegantly lined MG B. This series, too, mainly found its way to America. The MG B was available as roadster and as a 2+2 coupe, called the ‘GT’.
As British Motor* had stopped the production of the Austin Healey, there was again the need for a six-cylinder sports car from this stable, which made the MG C see the light of day in 1967. It was an MG B with a six-cylinder engine. However, this car failed to live up to expectations as its road-holding and character were not of Healey’s caliber. Eventually, Healey’s successor was to come from the newly merged British Leyland* stable in 1968, and was called the Triumph TR6.
In 1973, a V8 variant of the MG B came onto the market: the MGB V8. This model had a powerful Rover 3.5 litre V8 motor and was to be built until 1976.
The MG B roadster and the GT were sold until 1980, and, under pressure from American legislation, were adapted with safety-enhancing and emission-reducing conversions during their last five production years. The resultant thick rubber bumpers and less powerful engines made these cars much less attractive. Meanwhile, Japan produced the Datsun 240 Z, and put an end to the British sports car hegemony in America.
In 1980, it was curtains for MG B. In the years after, some Austins did appear, ‘dressed up’ as MGs but we’d rather forget about them. Finally, in the 1990s, a worthy successor emerged in the form of the MG F, which is available to this day.
In the year 2001 BMW decided to get rid of Rover because they were losing lots of money because the British pound was too expensive as was manufacturing cars in England.
A group of investors bought Rover. They took over the entire model line and were able to work out the last details on the Rover 75 Tourer and market it. Next idea was to give MG a true rebirth; various Rover models were technically re-engineered, tuned and spiced up to make thru drivers cars of them, a sporty line of cars alongside the Rover middle-class luxury line.
Looking at the Rover/ MG cars and reading about them in the press we can tell that we have high expectations of the MG models to appear in the future.
© Marc Vorgers
1968-75: BRITISH LEYLAND MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD
1975-78: BRITISH LEYLAND LIMITED
(in the merger of BRITISH MOTOR HOLDINGS with Austin-Morris and Jaguar interests in 1966)
and LEYLAND MOTOR CORP. LTD.
partly nationalized by the British government in 1975