MG TD, 1953
MG TD, year 1953. Colour red combined with a black leather interior and black carpet. Side-screens with black frames, and a black soft-top. This gorgeous MG TD was sold new in the Netherlands and the last owner has cherished the car for 40 years! The car was serviced and maintained beautifully. this MG TD in incredibly good to excellent condition and it drives perfectly. The car was uprated with a modern 5-speed gearbox and the 1250 cc four-cylinder engine was modified to run-on lead-free petrol. The MG features desirable options like classic bucket seats, a badge bar with Lucas SFT 575 wide-beam fog- lamps fitted, wire wheels, a chrome baggage rack, an odometer reading in km/h, a wonderful aluminium rocker cover and an aluminium engine side cover. This is an excellent example that can be enjoyed to the fullest by its new enthusiast owner!
ARCHIVES | SOLD
The MG TD was the successor of the MG TC, the British sports car that stole the hearts of the American soldiers returning to their country. Like the MG TC, America was the most important market for the TD. Chassis and body of the TD were largely similar to the TC. But the TD had a rack and pinion steering-gear, coil springs (instead of the leaf springs) and an independent wheel suspension in the front. The wings were different in form, as the large 19-inch wire wheels in the TD gave way to 15-inch wheels. A Mk II version was introduced in 1950, and was built simultaneously with the Mk I. The Mk II had a more powerful engine and a "power bulge" on the engine valve on the right. The MG TD was in production until 1953 and was replaced by the MG TF.
Four cylinder engine
cylinder capacity: 1250 cc.
carburettors: 2x S.U.
capacity: 54 hp. at 5250 rpm.
top-speed: 125 km/h. - 78 mph.
gearbox: 4-speed, manual
weight: 885 kg.
MG (Morris Garage) was set up by William Morris in the year 1923 to market a more sporty line of Morris models. Morris Production Manager, Cecil Kimber, was transferred from the factory in Cowley to Morris Garages (in Abington) to design MG's using Morris parts. MG production in Abingdon started in the year 1924. At the end of the 1930s, even normal passenger cars were introduced under the MG label.
The business flourished when in 1945, just after World War II, the sporty prewar MG TB and its successor the TC stole the hearts of the American soldiers. Numerous MGs were shipped to America where this type of motorcar was yet unknown.
Demand for the MG sports cars quickly rose in America, and most of the MGs were sold across the big pond in the years that followed. MGs were simple and well-built, affordable and easy to maintain. In 1952, Austin Motor Corporation merged with Morris Motors to form British Motor Corporation Ltd*.
In 1955, the pre-war TB and the post-war TC, TD and TF series with their pre-war designs were followed by the MG A roadster, which also became available as coupes after 1956.
In 1962, the successful MG A was followed by the even more successful and austerely but elegantly lined MG B. This series, too, mainly found its way to America. The MG B was available as roadster and as a 2+2 coupe, called the ‘GT’.
As British Motor* had stopped the production of the Austin Healey, there was again the need for a six-cylinder sports car from this stable, which made the MG C see the light of day in 1967. It was an MG B with a six-cylinder engine. However, this car failed to live up to expectations as its road-holding and character were not of Healey’s caliber. Eventually, Healey’s successor was to come from the newly merged British Leyland* stable in 1968, and was called the Triumph TR6.
In 1973, a V8 variant of the MG B came onto the market: the MGB V8. This model had a powerful Rover 3.5 litre V8 motor and was to be built until 1976.
The MG B roadster and the GT were sold until 1980, and, under pressure from American legislation, were adapted with safety-enhancing and emission-reducing conversions during their last five production years. The resultant thick rubber bumpers and less powerful engines made these cars much less attractive. Meanwhile, Japan produced the Datsun 240 Z, and put an end to the British sports car hegemony in America.
In 1980, it was curtains for MG B. In the years after, some Austins did appear, ‘dressed up’ as MGs but we’d rather forget about them. Finally, in the 1990s, a worthy successor emerged in the form of the MG F, which is available to this day.
In the year 2001 BMW decided to get rid of Rover because they were losing lots of money because the British pound was too expensive as was manufacturing cars in England.
A group of investors bought Rover. They took over the entire model line and were able to work out the last details on the Rover 75 Tourer and market it. Next idea was to give MG a true rebirth; various Rover models were technically re-engineered, tuned and spiced up to make thru drivers cars of them, a sporty line of cars alongside the Rover middle-class luxury line.
Looking at the Rover/ MG cars and reading about them in the press we can tell that we have high expectations of the MG models to appear in the future.
© Marc Vorgers
1968-75: BRITISH LEYLAND MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD
1975-78: BRITISH LEYLAND LIMITED
(in the merger of BRITISH MOTOR HOLDINGS with Austin-Morris and Jaguar interests in 1966)
and LEYLAND MOTOR CORP. LTD.
partly nationalized by the British government in 1975