MG MGB GT, 1966
Hide slides
Updated: 15-July-2024 14:47

MG MGB GT, 1966 | € 19.950,--

Engine sound
Sound driving
Information
Model information
Make history

MG MGB GT, year 12 September 1966 (first registration 7 March 1967). Colour British Racing Green combined with a black leather interior trimmed with white piping and black carpet. This wonderful MG MGB GT was sold new in the Netherlands. The car was shipped from the UK on 17 October 1966, and the car arrived at the MG representative (Putter in Almelo the Netherlands) on 24 October 1966. First owner was Mr. Brugman who lived in Delden, and who was the owner/ director of machine factory Brugman in Almelo. About a year and a half later the MG was traded in at Keizer’s Automobielen in Enschede. The MG was sold to the second owner who had traded in a VW Beetle, a photo of this invoice is included with the documentation. In 1978 the car changed hands a few times in a short period of time. The new owner, Mr. G. Strengers had the car extensively refurbished. The front and rear wings, and the sills were renewed, reversing lights and a heated rear window where installed, the dynamo was exchanged for an alternator and the electrical system was converted from positive ground to negative ground. The engine was overhauled and a 4-speed gearbox with overdrive was fitted. The restoration and overhaul took two years to be completed. In 1989 the MG was sold to MG club member Mr. T. Taselaar. In 1990 Mr. Taselaar traded the MG with Mr. Sieverink for his MGB roadster to be restored by Sieverink. Being a British car specialist Sieverink used this MGB GT as a business presentation for his company visiting clients and club events. In this period the car was upgraded with vented front disc brakes, adjustable Spax shocks, a Kenlow fan with manual override, a Stainless-Steel exhaust, electric windscreen washer, halogen headlights, a Motolita competition sterring wheel with wood rim, and new leather upholstery as per original specifications. In September 1993 the car was sold to the current owner (MG club member) who has cherished the car for over 30 years! Three years ago, the car was given new paint in the original colour. In the last years a high-torque starter, 123 ignition, and K&N sports air-filters were fitted. The MGB was very well serviced and garaged over the years, the automobile is in a very good and wonderful condition. The owner has written an extensive account of the car’s history. The car comes with a Heritage certificate and photographs to illustrate the history. The car still sports its original Dutch registration. The MGB is in general not a rare classic, the left hand driven MGB GT with odometer reading in kilometres is rare; only 1477 examples were produced with these specifications.

This MG is for sale at S2 Classic Cars.
Price: € 19.950, -.

S2CC 2403

The MG B was the first MG (Morris Garage) to be built of unitary construction bodywork. The MG B roadster was manufactured between 1962 and 1980. Early models can be recognized by the chrome bumpers, but because of American rules on safety, the later models were equipped with synthetic bumpers. The greater part was exported to the United States.
 
Technical data

four-cylinder engine
cylinder capacity: 1798 cc.
capacity: 95 bhp. at 5400 rpm.
top-speed: 172 km/h.
gearbox: 4-speed, manual
weight: 935 kg. (GT 1040 kg.)

MG history

MG (Morris Garage) was set up by William Morris in the year 1923 to market a more sporty line of Morris models. Morris Production Manager, Cecil Kimber, was transferred from the factory in Cowley to Morris Garages (in Abington) to design MG's using Morris parts. MG production in Abingdon started in the year 1924. At the end of the 1930s, even normal passenger cars were introduced under the MG label.
The business flourished when in 1945, just after World War II, the sporty prewar MG TB and its successor the TC stole the hearts of the American soldiers. Numerous MGs were shipped to America where this type of motorcar was yet unknown.
Demand for the MG sports cars quickly rose in America, and most of the MGs were sold across the big pond in the years that followed. MGs were simple and well-built, affordable and easy to maintain. In 1952, Austin Motor Corporation merged with Morris Motors to form British Motor Corporation Ltd*.
In 1955, the pre-war TB and the post-war TC, TD and TF series with their pre-war designs were followed by the MG A roadster, which also became available as coupes after 1956.
In 1962, the successful MG A was followed by the even more successful and austerely but elegantly lined MG B. This series, too, mainly found its way to America. The MG B was available as roadster and as a 2+2 coupe, called the ‘GT’.
As British Motor* had stopped the production of the Austin Healey, there was again the need for a six-cylinder sports car from this stable, which made the MG C see the light of day in 1967. It was an MG B with a six-cylinder engine. However, this car failed to live up to expectations as its road-holding and character were not of Healey’s caliber. Eventually, Healey’s successor was to come from the newly merged British Leyland* stable in 1968, and was called the Triumph TR6.
In 1973, a V8 variant of the MG B came onto the market: the MGB V8. This model had a powerful Rover 3.5 litre V8 motor and was to be built until 1976.

The MG B roadster and the GT were sold until 1980, and, under pressure from American legislation, were adapted with safety-enhancing and emission-reducing conversions during their last five production years. The resultant thick rubber bumpers and less powerful engines made these cars much less attractive. Meanwhile, Japan produced the Datsun 240 Z, and put an end to the British sports car hegemony in America.

In 1980, it was curtains for MG B. In the years after, some Austins did appear, ‘dressed up’ as MGs but we’d rather forget about them. Finally, in the 1990s, a worthy successor emerged in the form of the MG F, which is available to this day.
In the year 2001 BMW decided to get rid of Rover because they were losing lots of money because the British pound was too expensive as was manufacturing cars in England.
A group of investors bought Rover. They took over the entire model line and were able to work out the last details on the Rover 75 Tourer and market it. Next idea was to give MG a true rebirth; various Rover models were technically re-engineered, tuned and spiced up to make thru drivers cars of them, a sporty line of cars alongside the Rover middle-class luxury line.
Looking at the Rover/ MG cars and reading about them in the press we can tell that we have high expectations of the MG models to appear in the future.

© Marc Vorgers 

British Leyland*
1968-75: BRITISH LEYLAND MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD
1975-78: BRITISH LEYLAND LIMITED
(in the merger of BRITISH MOTOR HOLDINGS with Austin-Morris and Jaguar interests in 1966)
and LEYLAND MOTOR CORP. LTD.
partly nationalized by the British government in 1975

Seller: S2 Classic Cars
Contact
Address
route map
Phone: 0031 85 2734060
Goudstraat 23
7554NG Hengelo
Netherlands