Alvis 4.3 Litre Special, 1939
Alvis 4.3 Litre Special, year 1939. Chassis number: 14833X. Colour dark British Racing Green with a black leather interior. Black soft-top and tonneau-cover This fabulous Alvis Special was built fifteen years ago by an Alvis specialist in the United Kingdom. The build was based upon a rare original 4.3 Litre Alvis chassis and with the use of a rare Alvis 4.3 Litre straight-six engine fitted with three S.U. carburettors. Photos of the build are present as is a complete documentation file. This splendid Alvis special is in excellent condition and the car drives perfectly! The engine delivers a lot of torque and power and the exhaust-note is magnificent! The interior of this Alvis Special was perfectly laid-out, it offer space enough for longer drivers / passengers and the erected soft-top does not limit the freedom of movement which is seldom seen on this type of cars. Another practical aspect is the large luggage compartment behind the seats. A FIVA identity card and the original British papers are present, the car can be road-registered in any country. This fine Alvis 4.3 Litre special is ready for every outing or challenge in the hands of a new owner!
ARCHIVES | SOLD
Engine: 6 cylinder in-line engine
cylinder capacity: 4387 cc.
carburettors: 3 x S.U.
capacity: 137 bhp. at 3600 rpm.
gearbox: 4-speed manual
brakes: drum brakes around.
weight: approx. 1200 kg
Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.
The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.
© Marc Vorgers