Alvis Speed 25 special, 1936
Alvis Speed 25 4.3 Litre special, year 1936. First registration May 1936. Colour semi-gloss brown with a black interior. Black leather seats, black carpet, black hood and tonneau cover. This magnificent Alvis special was restored, overhauled and built about nineteen years ago. The work was carried out by several specialists in the Netherlands. The impressive straight-six 4.3 Litre engine was rebuilt by the the firm of Nuyts, the engine delivers about 175 bhp. The aluminium special coachwork was handcrafted by the renowned firm of Maurice Labroo. The mechanical side and full build-up was executed by the firm of G.J. Peters. The car was serviced by this firm until the year 2017. In the year 2017 Altena Classic Service (ACS) sold the car to the current owner. Ever since, the Alvis was serviced by ACS. This Alvis Speed 25 4.3 Litre special is a well-known car in the Dutch vintage and classic car circles. The automobile participated reliably in many historic events. This vintage special is in an excellent driver condition with a wonderful patina that has built up over the years. The car drives impressively; the big engine delivers masses of torque, and very important, the brakes can handle all this brawn. The body features a very convenient lockable baggage compartment and many technical parts have been fitted with an extra back-up: twin ignition coils, twin petrol pumps and filtres. Also, two spare wheels, shod with Dunlop racing tyres, are ‘aboard’. Featured are amongst others a 100-litre petrol tank, an aluminium radiator and an electric Kenlow cooling fan. This is a very desirable Alvis special which has been built to high standards and which can be enjoyed accordingly!
ARCHIVES | SOLD
Engine: 6 cylinder in-line engine
cylinder capacity: 4387 cc.
carburettors: 3 x S.U.
capacity: 137 bhp. at 3600 rpm.
gearbox: 4-speed manual
brakes: drum brakes around.
weight: approx. 1200 kg
Alvis was founded by Thomas George John and G.P. de Freville. The first cars built under the Alvis name were manufactured in 1920, and the last Alvis (sports) cars came out of the factory in Coventry 47 years later. The ending of the brand name Alvis was sealed when it was incorporated into the British Leyland concern, where it became part of Rover.
The Alvis cars were of great quality and workmanship and were very fast as well. As for their cars, many parts were designed and manufactured by Alvis’ own staff, and production was small-scaled and exclusive. In the 1920s, Alvis was the first British car model to experiment with four-wheel drive. In fact, in 1925, they even manufactured sports and racing cars equipped with front-wheel drive, which had also been fitted with an overhead camshaft.
© Marc Vorgers